Minima Yacht Club first raced in the summer of 1889 on the Hamble River. In the early days there were several Divisions of the Club, most being on the coast. In 1930 the Surbiton Division of Minima moved from the Sun Hotel to the garden of Nuttalls Restaurant, recently Millets.
During the Second World War racing continued from temporary quarters in Thames Sailing Club and Minima gave sailing instructions to R.A.F. pilots to enable them to handle their survival dinghies. Normal activities resumed in 1946.
Contributing to the beginning of the post-war boom in dinghy racing, Minima was the first Thames club to sponsor the Yachting World Cadet Class. The Club expanded considerably and members had successes in inland and coastal events.
During the 1960s uncertainty arising from the Kingston redevelopment plans eventually forced another move and the lease was secured of Nielson’s former sail loft and store. These premises were converted into a fine new clubhouse by the members and, together with the large boat compound in Home Park on the Middlesex bank, now afford first-class dinghy racing facilities.
For more information on the club’s history, read the PDF document linked below, which was produced in 1989 to celebrate the club’s centenary, or follow the link to scanned documents from our archive.